“The Simpsons” actor takes on new role

Courtesy of Loyola’s Office of Public Affairs and External Relations
Harry Shearer takes a moment to relax with College of Music and Fine Arts dean Donald Boomgaarden. Shearer worked with Loyola students on web video production this past.

While actor Harry Shearer provides voices for multiple characters on the television show, “The Simpsons,” Shearer will be acting as himself as an adviser and artist-in-residence at Loyola this fall.

On “The Simpsons” Shearer is the voice for characters Mr. Burns, Ned Flanders and Principal Skinner. At Loyola, Shearer will help with a new program called Digital Filmmaking and will work as an adviser to students, as the college of music and fine arts announced over the summer.

“We are thrilled to have Harry working with us. He is a brilliant artist and a great friend of New Orleans,” Donald Boomgaarden, dean of the college of music and fine arts, said in a Loyola press release.

Shearer will be holding workshops on acting, writing and directing. Along with these workshops, students will be able to intern and work as an assistant to Shearer. By working with Shearer, students may gain tools that they can use in their future filmmaking careers.

English and film studies senior Jorge Maradiaga was happy to hear Shearer will be coming to Loyola.

“I think it means the film area will expand at Loyola. More students will be inspired to be in the film program and give Mr. Shearer some work in the consulting area,” Maradiaga said.

This past summer, Shearer hired many Loyola students to shoot a six-episode web series. The web series parodies a popular reality television show, “Here Comes Honey Boo Boo.” From this experience, students had a chance to work alongside locals and Hollywood pros.

Jim Gabour, artist-in-residence and extraordinary professor of video technology, said he is excited to work with Shearer.

“Harry has offered amazing insights into what is means to work as a writer, director and actor in the mechanics of the Hollywood system,” Gabour said.

Shearer is already very involved with the university students, and he has spoken at two Loyola music industry forums in recent years.

“Harry Shearer is incredibly generous and approachable media star,” said Gabour. “He is a literal genius and also a great friend.”

Raquel Derganz Baker can be reached at [email protected]