Mardi Gras break extended to week

Students have more time to relax

Loyola students will not have to come back to class in the middle of the Mardi Gras week this semester, and possibly never again for future spring semesters.

According to Michael Rachal, director of Student Records and Administrative Services, Mardi Gras break will be five days long this semester, and this length will likely become common practice.

Rachal has been planning the university calendar for 33 years, and said that the date of commencement greatly influences the calendar. Rachal also said it was the reason why Mardi Gras break was shortened for the 2009 and 2010 spring semesters.

Commencement came earlier the past two years because it was the only time the university could reserve the Louisiana Superdome. The spacious and accommodating facility is popular for commencement ceremonies in the city, and Tulane University was the first to make an agreement with the Superdome, booking years in advance and leaving Loyola with second choice of dates to reserve the ‘Dome for commencement.

“Tulane decided to have its graduation at the ‘Dome before us, so they get first choice for graduations at the ‘Dome. We have to choose either the week before or after,” Rachal said.

According to recommendations from the Carnegie Unit, which designates the amount of credit hours necessary for a college education, the university calendar has to fit a minimum of 2100 minutes per class or 750 minutes per credit hour. The last Mardi Gras break had to be cut in order to meet these requirements.

However, starting this year, Mardi Gras break will not be affected, regardless of commencement dates.

If necessary, 10 minutes will be added to evening classes that meet a few times a week, so they meet the minimum Carnegie Unit requirement.

Rachal also said that Mardi Gras break is not only of cultural importance to students, but also a time for them to practice community service or spiritual activities, or to complete school work.

Joshua Washington, economics and philosophy sophomore, agrees. He is in an evening classes and prefers a longer Mardi Gras break, despite having the possibility of additional class time.

“People were mad last year that we didn’t have the full break time,” Washington said. “And it bothers me if we rush through an evening class because we don’t have enough time to cover everything.”

Instructors like sociology professor Marcus Kondkar also agree that the longer Mardi Gras break is better, noting that it affects student attendance.

“Our attendance would be much lower with a shorter break. In other places it’s just a regular Tuesday, but Mardi Gras is an integral part of life in New Orleans,” Kondkar said.

Vannia Zelaya can be reached at