Magazine ranks Loyola Moot Court in the top 10

Brian Koppen, has named Loyola’s College of Law Moot Court team as one of the top 10 advocacy programs in the nation.

The National Jurist, a magazine for law students, published Koppen’s list in its September 2011 issue.

Koppen, who served on the Chicago-Kent College of Law Moot Court team, named the top 10 through a point system.

“Points are based on how many other teams they edged out. My ranking has it so that a moot court program cannot easily finish in the top 10 without having placed several of its teams in the final four or better of relatively large competitions,” he said. 

“To finish in the top, there has to be an emphasis on training students in the arts of oral advocacy and brief writing, and Loyola University New Orleans gets it.”

This honor comes with much hard work, according to Ashley Lizzua, chairwoman of the Loyola Moot Court Board.

“The competitors practice every day for two hours before they go to their competition. It’s a really intense program, and that’s why it’s so great to be recognized. For the semester that you are competing, this is your life,” she said

Team member Meera Sossamon does not attribute their recognition to only hard work.

“(Being awarded) gives us the motivation to keep it up and work hard. I think it also generates a lot of support among alumni,” Sossamon said. “Part of why we do so well is because we have great alumni involvement.”

According to Monica Wallace, law professor and the faculty adviser for the team, being named in the top 10 brings distinction to the team and Loyola.

“(The award) gives recognition for all of these students’ hard work. It helps Loyola position itself as a national leader, which improves reputation. It also assists our students in getting jobs knowing they are coming out of a nationally recognized program.”

Law admissions counselor Dawn Chiappetta agreed with Wallace.

“Our Moot Court team’s success helps to display the caliber of students that attend Loyola College of Law. The fact that our team was named in the top 10 gains us national recognition and potentially an increase in applicants for Fall 2012,” she said.

The Moot Court program consists of nine teams, who compete in various competitions. To be selected for the Moot Court program, students must place in the top 10 percent of their Moot Court class to be chosen for the Moot Court staff. Once on the staff, the members compete in an intramural competition. The Moot Court Board, which consists of third year students, will choose team members from the first and second year classes.

Hannah Iannazzo can be reached at [email protected]