Dedication of Thomas Hall marks end of renovation

Thomas Hall
Thomas Hall

Before Loyola can accept the newly renovated Thomas Hall into its community, it needs to complete one last step — a dedication.

The university will host an open house in Thomas Hall on Sept. 27. A dedication and blessing ceremony will take place from 12:30 – 2 p.m. A reception for the general public will follow at 5 p.m.

Thomas Hall’s dedication will honor its renovation, which was completed in early August. Reopened after a three-year closure, the building has also been repurposed as a “one-stop shop” for administrative offices. Offices that were scattered throughout Marquette Hall are now in a building specifically designed for office space.

The dedication ceremony will mark the last step of the building’s transition.

According to Meredith Hartley, director of Public Affairs, the event’s speakers will include University President the Rev. Kevin Wildes, S.J., Whitney Bank President Joseph S. Exnicios, and a presentation by Vice President of Enrollment Management Salvadore Liberto.

Built in 1911, Thomas Hall was named after Louise C. Thomas, who funded its construction in memory of her late husband Stanley O. Thomas. Since Loyola received its charter in 1912, the building served as a residence and chapel for Jesuits of the New Orleans Province until 2005.

In that year the building was transformed into a temporary residence hall for students returning after Hurricane Katrina. Thomas Hall continued to serve as a residence until 2007.

The $14.5 million renovation was completed in early August, completing Phase I of the facilities master plan and giving administrative offices a new home.

The offices of Admissions and Enrollment, Enrollment Management, Scholarships and Financial Aid, Student Records, Student Finance and the Bursar’s Office are now all under one roof.

The newest addition to Loyola, The Whitney Bank Preservation Room, which will serve as a gathering space and reception area for prospective Loyola families, is also located in Thomas Hall.

“All of those services students need access to are going to be under one roof,” Hartley said.

And students like Jethro Celestin, music performance senior and Office of Admissions and Enrollment intern agree with Hartley.

“It’s more accessible,” he said. “Everything is well explained and exactly where you expect it to be. It’s easier to find your way around.”

Geenah Acevedo can be reached at [email protected]