Column: US lags in HIV awareness

allison derrick In My Opinion

Sub-Saharan Africa has the highest prevalence of HIV infection in the world today. Botswana, where I spent last semester, suffers from a staggeringly high rate of infection; United States Agency for International Development estimates that roughly 25 percent of Batswana are infected. That is one in four people and could be anyone — heterosexuals, homosexuals, men, women, senior citizens and even children. Twenty percent of children in Botswana are orphans, most losing their parents to AIDS. In short, Batswana know HIV/AIDS is everyone’s issue.

For these reasons, Botswana’s government has extended treatment coverage to over 80 percent of its citizens through free access to health care. Aggressive campaigns about HIV prevention and treatment have informed young people about how to be safe. In University of Botswana’s dormitories, students are reminded about the epidemic through signs with the slogans, “We are all waiting to be told the HIV/AIDS vaccine has been found…but ‘til then, we have to avoid contracting it by all means available.” Through these efforts, the number of new HIV infections is decreasing every year.

Compare this to the situation in the United States: 1.2 million Americans are infected, which is only about one in 300 people. More than half of those living with HIV are gay men. As a result, Americans tend to think of HIV/AIDS as a gay or minority issue, or when thinking globally just one of many African problems. Average Americans might feel they are not affected, but we are. Every year, 50,000 Americans contract HIV, and 10,000 do not know they have it. At least one-third of HIV-positive Americans do not receive treatment nationwide. In the southern states, including our city of New Orleans, this fraction is greater than 50 percent. The extension of treatment in the United States is vital to not only improve the health of those living with HIV, but also to stymie the spread of the virus. Increasing the use of antiretroviral drugs, drugs that reduce a person’s viral load to decrease the risk of transmission and increase the person’s lifespan, is particularly essential.

To stop the spread, more Americans need to be aware of the facts about HIV/AIDS, especially about testing and prevention. In addition, more needs to be done to care for those living with HIV/AIDS today, especially those without adequate insurance. Treatment for people living with HIV can be costly, which is just another reason that the American health care system desperately needs reform.

While the average college student can hardly be expected to rouse Congress to action singlehandedly, Loyola students can easily do the minimum. We can get tested at least once a year and practice safe sex.

Allison Derrick is an economics senior. She can be reached at [email protected]