Mission and Ministry welcomes three fresh faces

Three new additions to the Office of Mission and Ministry staff provide fresh faces to the Loyola Community.

Kurt Bindewald, director of University Ministry, said the three new staff members in Mission and Ministry fit into the Jesuit mission with their senses of passion and faith.

Laura Alexander, director of mission and ministry, said they are eager about opportunites Mission and Minisrty is offering students this semester.

“I’m so excited about the new staff team this year; there is so much energy and enthusiasm that I just know it’s going to be a fantastic and successful year for Mission and Ministry,” Alexander said.

Heather Malveaux is the new director of Immersion programs, taking over for Edwin Madera, who left to pursue a job opportunity in New York City.

Malveaux runs the Jamaica and Belize mission trips and is in charge of Loyola Week this year. The mission trips run in December, May and July.

Malveaux said reccent University budget cuts have not directly affected the Ignacio Volunteers program, but students continue fundraising efforts.

“The students work hard to fundraise and their energy is inspiring. We’re even hoping to open up a new program for the 2014-2015 school year,” Malveaux said.

Kayla August is the new Mission and Ministry intern, taking over for Joe Albin, who left to join the Dominican order. August’s present focus is the Awakening Retreat, a spiritual community and faith-oriented weekend retreat Oct. 4-6 this semester.

Jeffrey Castille, A’13, is the new Jesuit Center Fellow, taking over for Nick Courtney, who left to become a Jesuit priest.

Castille is also a staff member involved with the Ignacio Volunteers program and is planning to facilitate the upcoming Belize trip. This will be his third time going to Belize with the Ignacio Volunteers. Castille does a lot of work with Ricardo Marquez, the assistant director of the Tom Benson Jesuit Center.

“I’m learning a lot and loving what I do. It’s hard work but extremely rewarding,” Castille said.

Bindewald said the brighter side of recent budget cuts is that they’ve allowed for the program to focus on Jesuit values of Loyola.

“With a small freshman class and budget cuts, we are looking at what is the most valuable resources we offer as well as the opportunities we provide,” Bindewald said.

Kristen Wee, sociology senior, also has a positive outlook about the budget cuts in the view of the humble Jesuit identity.

“Having a smaller budget forces us to realize you don’t need material thing to promote Jesuit ideals,” Wee said.

Katherine Collier can be reached at [email protected]