Online nursing receives approval

Due to a lack of students in the classroom, Loyola has approved an online Bachelor of Science in Nursing program for registered nurses.

Debra Copeland, associate professor of the School of Nursing, originally wrote the proposal to switch the program to an online format.

“It got to the point where there were three people in the classroom, and around 15 to 20 people were taking the course through the Distance Learning Program,” Copeland said.

The Distance Learning Program allowed students to view the lectures through live streaming and later through Blackboard.

The online program was originally proposed in August 2010 and was approved by the Standing Council for Academic Planning, the committee that oversees academic decisions for the university, and the Provost’s office in late October.

Copeland said it just made sense to offer the entire program online because it is more flexible and convenient for students.

“The students in the RN-BSN program are already registered nurses,” Copeland said. “They work full-time and have other commitments, so coming to class several nights a week for three hours at a time is not easy.”

The online track does not require any changes from the professors because most of them are already trained in teaching online courses through the graduate programs.

The online course takes an average of two to three years to complete, because of Loyola’s Common Curriculum that all students are required to take.

Hannah Iannazzo can be reached at [email protected]