Professor Emeritus dies at 86

Distinguished English professor Dorothy Harrell Brown died on Jan. 16 at the age of 86.

The 1991 Dux Academicus award winner was the founder of Loyola’s women’s studies program and the Women’s Resource Center.

President Emeritus Rev. James C. Carter, S.J., was president of the university when Brown was awarded Dux Acadmicus. Carter said Brown was known not only for her dedication to work, but for her overall positive attitude.

“She was a very fine scholar and a pleasant person to deal with,” Carter said. “She was always easy to speak with and very friendly.”

In addition to her work founding the Women’s Resource Center, Brown was also one of the first professors at Loyola to take her students overseas to study abroad. She taught Loyola students in England, Scotland and Ireland for class credit.

In 1996, Brown also co-authored a book with fellow English Professor Barbara Ewell, Ph.D. “Louisiana Women Writers” was a series of biographical essays highlighting the work of female authors associated with Louisiana and showing how each writers’ work addressed various pressing social issues.

Brown was born in Hot Springs, Ark., but lived in New Orleans for 50 years. She is survived by her son Max H. Brown, Bruce S. Brown and her brother Robert Harrell.

Hasani Grayson can be reached at [email protected]