Brief: Inmates learn poetry and lit with Loyola English professor
Mark Yakich, Loyola English professor, is teaching 16-week poetry classes to inmates in the Orleans Parish Prison.
The classes are a part of the prison's English program that is directed and funded by Nik de Dominic, Delgado Community College professor and poet.
Yakich taught inmates in prisons in 2006 while he taught at Central Michigan University. Yakich discusses poems such as "Leaves of Grass" by Walt Whitman among other works of poetry.
The classes are held in the prison every other week.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent loyolamaroon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR LOYOLAMAROON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST LOYOLAMAROON NEWS
RECENT LOYOLAMAROON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?