Brief: SGA charters two new organizations
At the Student Government Association senate meeting on Wednesday, Jan. 22, new chapters of Alpha Phi Omega and Be the Match were chartered.
Alpha Phi Omega is a coed fraternity that is committed to community service. Representatives of the chapter who attended the meeting said that the organization will be teaming up Tulane's chapter as well as Louisiana State University's chapter.
The fraternity is not a social organization, but strictly dedicated to promoting friendship and leadership through service. The chapter hopes to gain at least 25 members this semester.
SGA also chartered a chapter of Be The Match foundation. The nonprofit organization is a bone marrow donor program. Rachel Robinson, social sciences sophomore, said that the chapter would encourage students to sign up for bone marrow registry.
Robinson plans to have the chapter distribute donor kits for students who are interested. Students would simply swab their mouths and send in the kit to see if they are a match to a patient with a life-threatening disease.
According to Robinson, students would have the option to donate to patients in need or for research purposes. SGA senate chartered both organizations with a unanimous vote.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More loyolamaroon News Articles
Recent loyolamaroon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR LOYOLAMAROON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST LOYOLAMAROON NEWS
RECENT LOYOLAMAROON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit