Student reports sexual assault
A Loyola student reported a sexual assault early Friday morning in the stairwell of the Freret Garage on Loyola's main campus.
The incident was reported at 4:12 a.m. on Feb. 15. An arrest has not yet been made and the names of the victim and the suspect have not yet been released to the public.
According to a statement from NOPD officer Hilal Williams, the victim knew the suspect prior to the incident.
"This was not a random attack," Williams said in a statement. "The victim said she was consuming alcoholic beverages at a bar when she met the alleged suspect and began dancing with him during the night."
Williams also said that the victim reported to police that she allowed the suspect to walk her home before the incident took place.
Williams said later in the statement that the suspect has been identified and that NOPD is still looking into the incident.
"Detectives have been in contact with the suspect and will be meeting with him at a scheduled time," he said "This is an on-going investigation."
Loyola sent out a BOLO email about the incident later Friday night. Campus police are encouraging all students to be aware of their surroundings and to closely monitor their alcohol intake to help avoid similar situations.
Hasani Grayson can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More loyolamaroon News Articles
Recent loyolamaroon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR LOYOLAMAROON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST LOYOLAMAROON NEWS
RECENT LOYOLAMAROON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest
- Growing Investment Opportunities In Green -- and Blue --...