Hungarian Jews protest memorial
Published: Thursday, February 13, 2014
Updated: Thursday, February 13, 2014 15:02
BUDAPEST, Hungary (AP) — The Federation of Hungarian Jewish Communities said Sunday that it will boycott all government events commemorating the 70th anniversary of the Holocaust in Hungary unless the government cancels some of the planned memorials.
The dispute stems from differences between the federation and Prime Minister Viktor Orban’s government about the yearlong series of remembrances centered on the 1944 deportation of more than 430,000 Hungarian Jews to Nazi death camps.
“The known plans do not take into account the arguments or the sensitivity of the victims of the horrors of the Holocaust,” the group said, adding that there had been “no substantive progress on the government side in the dispute over the Hungarian Holocaust Memorial Year.”
The federation voted 76-2 in favor of the boycott, with three abstentions.
Mazsihisz, the federation’s Hungarian acronym, wants the government to abandon plans to build a memorial of Nazi Germany’s 1944 invasion of Hungary and a project dedicated to the child victims of the Holocaust.
The “House of Fates” memorial is being built at a Budapest railway station from which Jews were deported to Nazi death camps.
The memorial honoring children will include an exhibit and education center, and Mazsihisz said it has been sidelined from the project, whose “historical approach remains unknown” to the federation’s experts.
Mazsihisz fears both memorials will downplay the role of Hungary and Hungarians in the Holocaust.
Mazsihisz and leaders of other Hungarian Jewish organizations met with government officials on Thursday, and Orban is expected to address their concerns next week.