Sports briefs October 24

Sarah-Anne Smurlick named Student of the Week

Sarah-Anne Smurlick has been named Kentwood Springs Student Athlete of the Week. She finished third at the Spring Hill College Badger Shootout on Oct. 16 in Mobile, Alabama, shooting a 77 in the first round. She was three strokes shy of the leader and only one stroke behind the second place golfer. Her scores helped the women’s team place second.

Volleyball falls to Mobile

The Wolf Pack lost to their conference opponent, University of Mobile, in a three set game. Eva Allen, mass communication junior, led their offense with 10 kills. Keyanna Gayden, biological sciences freshmen, contributed four. The pack played again on Oct. 23 against Spring Hill College, also in Mobile.

Cross Country ends regular season

Loyola’s men’s and women’s cross country team closed out their regular season with the Crimson Classic, a tournament hosted by University of Alabama consisting of 33 NCAA Division I schools. The women’s team finished 30th, while the men were not able to qualify as a team because they did not have enough runners.

Cross Country announces assistant coach

Head Coach Matt Shelton announced the hiring of Judith Billizone as assistant cross country and track coach. Billizone, a New Orleans native, taught high school track and field in Colorado, where she specialized in training the sprinters, jumpers and long distance runners.

Rugby team travels to Mobile

Loyola’s rugby team prepares for a game-heavy schedule starting in November. They play in the Battleship Tournament in Mobile, Alabama on Nov. 8-9. The tournament will host teams from all over the south in a variety of the divisions. The following week they play the University of Western Florida at home.

Quidditch team is on a winnning streak

On Oct. 25, Loyola’s rugby team will host the third annual Wolf Pack Classic at Zephyr Field. There will be teams from all over the south, and even from Florida. There are 16 teams playing, giving each team four guaranteed games before elimination matches.

San Francisco Giants take Game One of the World Series

Kansas City (AP)– From the get-go, the Giants simply did everything right to win their seventh straight World Series game. There’s a reason they are trying for their third title in five years.

The Royals, meanwhile, looked nothing like the fresh team that became baseball’s darlings by starting the playoffs with eight wins in a row — back on the field after a five-day layoff, their pitching, hitting and fielding skills all deserted them.