THE MAROON’S TOP TEN STORIES OF THE YEAR

As chosen by The Maroon’s Editorial Board

As far as campus events go, this year could be considered one of the most lively in recent history. The university president resigned amid allegations of misconduct, atheletic scholarships were brought back for the first time in 30 years and more than 20 members of off-campus sorority Tri Phi faced discipline for allegedly hazing members. Here’s a look at our most memorable stories:

10: ALLEGED MASTURBATOR CAUGHT IN LIBRARY

Several advertising students described him as a middle-aged man, allegedly looking at foot-fetish Web sites in the Monroe Library. The students spotted the alleged masturbator late into the night near the MAC lab, and reported him to the library staff. University Police escorted the man, described who was of average height with brown hair and glasses, off of campus. No incidents have since been reported.

9: THOUSANDS GO MISSING FROM SGA OFFICE SAFE

Police still haven’t figured out who took nearly $3,500 from the Student Government Association safe in late September. Accounting senior Janel Glynn said she’d tried to take the money from the SGA book sale to deposit in the Bursar’s Office, but had to return it to the SGA safe because the bursar was closed for the day. Former SGA President Bea Forlano, management senior, said that there didn’t appear to be a forced entry, and that both the safe and SGA office were locked.

8: FAKE BEARDED WOMAN WIH GUN STEALS $400

A woman with a fake beard made off with $400 in late September while holding two Sodexho employees at gunpoint. The victims claim that the woman entered the kitchen area of the Danna Center also armed with tear gas, ordered them to lie on the floor, and then took the night deposits. She then allegedly sprayed the victims with the teargas and ran.

7: PETITION SEEKS BENEFITS FOR SAME SEX PARTNERS

In February, Interim University President William Byron, S.J. denied an Internet petition that asked the university to revise its policy on Rec Plex benefits, after a graduate student’s same-sex partner was denied a family membership. More than 300 people signed the petition, but Byron said that the university “must resist appeals to encourage immoral behavior.”

6: BOARD ELECTS WILDES, ENDS SIX-MONTH SEARCH

Loyola’s presidential search ended April 15 as the Rev. Kevin Wildes, S.J., of Georgetown University, was elected unanimously by the Board of Trustees, with 26 of the 33 members present to make the final decision.”This is great news for the university,” said Donna Fraiche, chairwoman of the Board of Trustees. “Georgetown is the flagship Jesuit university. We are going to be better than Georgetown.”

5: ‘VAGINA MONOLOGUES’ CALLED ‘INAPPROPRIATE’

Members of the Women’s Issues Organization decried a request from the Rev. William Byron, S.J., interim university president, asking that they find a creative alternative to a proposed production of “The Vagina Monologues.” The students said that Byron told them that Loyola would not financially support the production, because he felt it was inappropriate.

4: MULTICULTURAL CENTER PLANNED AFTER RACISM

A multicultural center is set to open within the next year. Outlined by the Rev. William Byron, S.J., interim university president, in his Spring Convocation address to the faculty and staff, a “center for interracial and intercultural understanding” would entail widespread participation from both students and faculty. The center is already under construction in the former concierge office of the Danna Center.

3: TRI PHIS FACE EXPULSION, ACCUSED OF HAZING

Allegations of hazing led to an administrative meeting for 24 alleged members of Tri Phi on April 13. Five of the women were expelled. The rest of the women were given sentences that included suspension, mandatory drug and alcohol counseling, fines and community service. Seventeen of the women are suing Loyola to stop the sanctions from being enacted.

2: ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIPS RETURN AFTER 30 YEARS

Exercising his presidential fiscal control over athletics, Interim University President the Rev. William Byron, S.J., allocated six athletic scholarships to the basketball program for the 2004 -05 academic year, the first at Loyola in 30 years. The six scholarships, which will pay for the athletes’ full tuition, are divided equally between the women and men’s teams. However, the scholarship process met widespread outcry from faculty members, who said they should have been consulted.

1: KNOTH RESIGNS

Former president of Loyola University, the Rev. Bernard Knoth, S.J., resigned the morning of October 7, amid allegations of sexual misconduct in 1986. Loyola’s Board of Trustees met immediately to review and accept Knoth’s resignation. The board then appointed the Rev. William J. Byron, S.J, as the interim president of the university.