Loyola celebrates inauguration

Faculty, staff, students and alumni gather for festivities
    The Rev. Kevin Wildes, S.J., listens to the encouragement of several speakers at his inauguration in Roussel Hall on Oct. 15. The inauguration included a Mass, ceremony, reception and Collage concert at the end of the night.

From the maroon and gold banners on Marquette Hall to the four levels of food at the J. Edgar and Louis S. Monroe Library, signs of the presidential inauguration were everywhere Friday, Oct. 15.

Faculty, students, prominent alumni and community members gathered to celebrate the official installment of the Rev. Kevin Wildes, S.J., as the 16th president of Loyola University.

Sister Anne Ramagos, C.S.J., a member of the steering committee for the inauguration, said she was very happy with the event.

“I think it was a merry, uplifting time. We wanted it to be well-focused and on campus so that we could involve everyone,” Ramagos said.

The festivities began with a Mass at Holy Name of Jesus Church. The Archbishop Alfred Hughes presided over the liturgy, while faculty and students participated in the procession and readings. For the intercession, students and clergy recited prayers in nine different languages, including Creole and Irish-Gaelic.

The Rev. Michael Garzini, S.J., president of Loyola University Chicago, delivered a sermon decrying the lack of civility and discourse in our society.

“Knowledge and wisdom matter less than what we scream across our cultural divides,” Garzini said.

He implored students and faculty to uphold the institution of intellectual dialogue and make Loyola a place for reasoned introspection.

The Loyola Chamber Orchestra and the Loyola University Chorale performed traditional music with Kristen Taffaro, music theory sophomore, as the cantor.

The inauguration ceremony was held in Roussel Hall later in the afternoon. The ceremony was simultaneously broadcasted in Nunemaker Hall for those who couldn’t find a seat.

Student organization presidents, delegates from other universities, faculty members, deans and members of the board, all dressed in formal academic robes, were part of the opening procession. Members of the procession alone filled up more than half of the auditorium; almost 50 student groups were represented in the ceremony.

Student Government Association President Martina Mills, communications senior, spoke as the student representative.

“Loyola’s student body needs a visionary leader in touch with our desire to become men and women for others … to lead Loyola toward the pursuit of excellence and commitment to justice. With this inauguration, we step toward a more passionate Loyola,” Mills said.

Mitch Landrieu, lieutenant governor of Louisiana and alumnus of the Loyola School of Law, emphasized the active role the university takes in the intellectual life of Louisiana.

“Knowledge is the currency of a new economy, and Loyola has the partnership of the state,” Landrieu said.

Wildes’ inauguration address focused on the future growth of Loyola, as well as changes that have already been implemented.

“Some people may ask, ‘Why change? Why would Loyola want to become a better, stronger institution?’ Our desire to change is in response to the changing environment in which this university lives,” Wildes said.

Wildes also discussed what it means to be the only Jesuit university in the Deep South, and the impact Loyola’s social justice programs has on the state.

“Loyola brings the work of the university to bear on some of the most difficult and important issues facing our city, region and nation,” Wildes said. “Our commitment to this region is not only found in the students we educate, but the ways which the university seeks to address some of the urgent questions in the region.”

Sodexho Dining Services provided catering for the post-inaugural reception, which encompassed all four floors of Monroe library.

Alumni, faculty, students and community members mingled among different-themed floors, which included Cajun and Italian appetizers, as well as desserts and an open bar. Wildes said he was very pleased with the inauguration.

“I wanted something to celebrate the institution, and they did a wonderful job,” Wildes said.

He said he plans to continue the academic agenda set forth by former University President Bernard Knoth and develop a strategic plan to integrate academic, financial and institutional ideas into reality.

Kelly Brown can be reached at [email protected].