First year retreat brings freshmen together with Ignatian values

Rachel Falls

Laura Alexander

This year, Loyola is bringing a new twist to an old favorite with new student staff for the annual first-year retreat.

The retreat happens on Sept. 12 to 14 at Fontainebleau Park in Mandeville.  The three-day event is designed to help first-year students reflect on where they are as they begin their lives at Loyola, Laura Quigley Alexander, staff adviser for the retreat, said.

“It helps to connect them to a community of their peers and upperclassmen,” Alexander said. “It helps introduce them to Ignatian spirituality and what it means to engage with the Jesuit charism of Loyola University.”

The student leaders, Katie O’Dowd, economics senior, and Steven Gergen, environmental biology senior, said they are ready to bring their energy to the weekend event.

“I’m really excited to help the first-years connect with each other and the older section of the Loyola community,” Gergen said. “I’d also like to take part in a big kickball game.”

Each year, the student staff works hard to bring their unique talent to the retreat, and this year’s staff said they are no different.

“While there are similar themes from past years and we follow a similar structure, every staff is encouraged to re-imagine the experience,” O’Dowd said.

Other activities that happen during the weekend are team-building exercises and personal reflection time, as well as prayer.

“There will also be a lot of storytelling, with upperclassmen sharing their experiences relating to transitioning to life at Loyola,” Alexander said.

While many transfer students are beginning their first years at Loyola as well, the retreat is geared towards freshmen.

“This retreat is open specifically to those entering their first year of college,” O’Dowd said. “Most of the themes the retreat deals with are catered specifically to students who are experiencing their first year in a college setting.”

Students have already begun signing up for the retreat. Registration ends on Sept. 5. The registration fee is $40 and it ensures a spot for the weekend.

Registration is available online on the Office of Mission and Ministry homepage, at a table located in the Danna Center and in the Magis Lounge.  Financial assistance is also available for the retreat.

Alexander, who is in charge of financial assistance, said that the retreat is a good way to transition into a new community.

“I hope that participants will have a great time while making friendships that will last a lifetime,” Alexander said. “I also hope that people find meaning and value while learning about Ignatian spirituality and reflecting on how God can be a part of their life at Loyola.”