Think hard about your privilege before you complain about Loyola

Katie Collier

Katie is a mass communication Senior. kacollie@loyno.edu
Katie is a mass communication Senior.

People love to complain. This is a well-known fact, but Loyola students seem to love to complain more than other privileged college students. Their topic of choice? Complaining about Loyola.

According to the Huffington Post, 6.7 percent of the world has a college degree. That statistic includes all different types of colleges, and you are lucky enough to go to a beautiful, private university in a vibrant city full of opportunities. Loyola isn’t perfect of course, and there are things this university is working through, but use your energy for something else besides complaining or spitting out facts about our financial deficit.

Yes, Loyola may not be doing too well financially. Yes, our class numbers are significantly lower than they were just a few years ago. And yes, Loyola has some other things that it needs to work through as an institution.

But at the end of the day, students at Loyola need to take a step back and realize what they have. However you are paying for Loyola, whether you’re racking up loans or you have a full ride, you are still a student here. You are still a student at a private, Jesuit, accredited institution.

Don’t tell me your professors suck. There are professors who are willing to meet with you at office hours. These are people who actually care about you, who notice when you aren’t in class and worry about you.

Don’t tell me the academics aren’t good. There are places like the WAC lab that will edit your papers for free. There is a beautiful library with free printing, computer access and hundreds of desks and chairs for studying.

Don’t tell me you wish we had something like the LBC. There are multiple food options on campus and various free food events every week for the alert student that pays attention to the free pizza signs.

Don’t tell me that there aren’t opportunities. Loyola has dozens of clubs, sports, retreats and events to participate in on a weekly basis. There are so many incredible ways to get involved it sometimes overwhelms me. Various sororities, fraternities, clubs, gatherings that suit almost any interest you may have. From swing dancing club to anime club to ultimate frisbee, I find it hard to believe that there is not at least one way to get involved that does not appeal to each and every student.

And if you disagree with me, then that is fine. But please stop focusing so much on being negative about this school.

Negativity is contagious, so bring it somewhere else.