Students throw festival at historic Joy Theater

Zach Brien

The Big Excuse is one of the bands playing at FAM Fest on Dec 5. The Big Excuse is made up of Nate Ward on trumpet, Evan Murphy on saxophone, Patrick Kelleher on drums, Max Smilen on guitar, Alexander Szotak on bass, and Black Letters from Sexual Thunder on keyboard. The Festival is being thrown entirely by a team of Loyola students and Joy Theater interns.

Melanie Potter

Film, art and music come together in perfect harmony with the first ever NOLA Film, Arts and Music Fest.

Conceived, developed, and organized entirely by a team of Loyola students and Joy Theater interns, FAM Fest is a multi-media experience featuring short films and music video screenings, live music and visual art. The event incorporates not only New Orleans artists, but also Loyola talent.

Loyola artists are showcased in all aspects of this event, right down to the promotional art made by music industry studies senior, James Van Camp.

The intern team is made up of Alexus Fisher, music industry studies junior, and Jonathan Bilich, Dominic Rivera and Louis Monroe, music industry studies seniors. The internship program, co-sponsored by the Joy Theater and Loyola, gives students hands-on experience in venue management and event production.

“The whole point of FAM Fest is to celebrate artists from every corner of the NOLA art community. By coming, you’re not only supporting this community, but becoming a part of it,” Monroe said.

For Fisher, who has been in charge of marketing for the event, it’s all about supporting your peers and creative community in New Orleans.

“It’s created by students, and a lot of students are involved. By going, you’re supporting the efforts of your fellow students. It’s also a great way to engage yourself in the young, creative scene in New Orleans,” Fisher said.

Dominic Rivera, music industry studies senior, is one of the four students interning for The Joy Theater this semester.

“It is going to be an amazing show with a lot of familiar faces and top-notch art of all forms. It’s an opportunity to get into one of New Orleans’ premier venues for cheaper than usual, while still supporting local art,” Rivera said. “In all, it’s a celebration of the arts and culture that breathe life into our city and beyond.”

The night will start with the art. When doors open at 8 p.m., there will be a live art market, graffiti artists, painters and sculptors displaying and selling their art as well as doing demonstrations. Business management senior, Malcolm Reed will be doing a live art show.

Next, there will be a screening of two short films, made by locals, Eric Williamson and Jason Vowell; as well as music videos by Loyola band, Stoop Kids.

Last but not least, bring in the music. Loyola bands The Big Excuse and Yugen kick off the music, followed by headliner and “Louisiana’s premier intergalactic space jazz band,” Captain Green. After the music, the visual artists will have the floor once again.

FAM Fest will be held at the Joy Theater on Friday, Dec. 5, starting at 8 p.m.