Loyola invests in devices for the faint of heart

Sarah-Anne Smurlick

Members of the Loyola community are only a heartbeat away from devices that can potentially save the lives of those on campus.

There are currently 10 automated external defibrillators on the main campus and the Broadway campus. Installed three years ago, the devices can automatically diagnose cardiac arrhythmias and treat them with an electrical shock.

Colin Martin, environmental studies junior, said that he has spotted the AEDs in the Danna Center, the Monroe Library and the Communications and Music Complex.

“I think it’s important that AEDs are easily accessible here on campus and that students know how to use them,” Martin said.

Each AED has simple visual and audio instructions in order to assure a quick response time, which Liz Belcher, the public information officer for New Orleans Emergency Medical Services, said is crucial.

“Brain cells start to die after six minutes of inactivity,” Belcher said. “Time is tissue.  It does not regenerate.”

Chief Patrick Bailey of the Loyola University Police Department said that so far, the department has not needed to use the AEDs on any medical calls.

“We are certified with CPR and AEDs every two years and we have just completed training and recertification again that includes hands-on practice,” Bailey said.

Bailey said that if students or faculty witness someone who is not responsive, they should push one of the nearby blue light emergency call box buttons call 911 from a campus landline or call 504-865-3434 from a cell phone.

Bailey said that Loyola has a contract with Tulane EMS.

“They are here within just a few minutes when requested,” Bailey said.

Robert Reed, assistant vice president for student affairs, learned from safety magazines that installing AEDs was recommended.

“They are not that expensive and are a good thing to have, so we did it,” Reed said.